If you’re new to the world of barbecuing and looking for a reliable offset smoker, then you’re on the right side of the internet. An offset smoker features a classic smoking design, and it’s quite common in the BBQ community.
The wood smoking takes place inside the long horizontal chamber. There is a firebox attached on its side where the wood and charcoal burns for producing the smoke. Offset smokers come equipped with shelves inside the cooking chamber to handle racks of ribs, multiple briskets, and pork shoulders.
With offset smokers, you can expect stable temperature and maximum control of the heat. They come in thicker steel material and does an excellent job in retaining heat. In this guide, I’ll be talking about the best offset smokers under the price line of $1500. In this way, you can get the most out of the smoker at an affordable price point.
Top Offset Smokers Under $1500
Our Overall #1 Rated Pick
The Meadow Creek SQ36 is half the price of an expensive offset smoker and will deliver excellent results for a long, long time. This fantastic machine is as tough as they come, and delivers great smoking results and at such a low price, you'll never find a better deal.
A high-quality reverse air-flow smoker that offers quality results at a moderate price. Built in the USA. The best choice for those who do not want to spend a lot of money on a competition worthy smoker.
Despite the high heat from the fire, the SQ36 uses an offset firebox, so you can still control the temperature inside the smoker, as well as a flat top for warming sauces or side dishes.
Smoke is spread evenly around the cooking chamber by a chimney that resides at the base of the cooker on the left; this smart duct system helps distribute smoke all around the smoking chamber.
Anyone can enjoy quality results in their backyard with this offset smoker, from beginners to pros.
Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
- 900 total Square inch cooking surface- 619 Square inches in main chamber, 281 Square inches in firebox chamber
- Reverse-flow smoker employs a Series of 4 baffles to guide heat and smoke through the main chamber delivering an even and delicious result
- Removable baffles and optional smokestack locations for a customizable setup
- Firebox chamber features large stainless Steel fuel basket and clean-out door for easy ash removal
- Heavy-gauge all-steel construction, porcelain-coated cooking grates and multiple dampers for easy heat and smoke control
The Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker is an excellent choice for anyone on a budget. A feature that stands out a lot is its heavy-gauge steel construction that allows improved stability and heat retention. The grill grates of this smoker have a long-lasting porcelain coating. Its main cooking area has a 619 square foot measurement, accompanied by 281 square inches of the firebox. Its dimension includes 33.5 x 57 x 53 inches and weighs around 180 pounds.
Also, it's optional smoke stacking locations and removable baffles allow a customizable setup. There is also a large fuel basket of stainless-steel material inside the firebox chamber. You’ll also find a clean-out door that allows easy removal of ashes after use. One particular feature that makes it different includes the reverse flow configuration. Here, the firebox’s heat tends to travel under a perplex duct (flue) till the end before it goes back and drafts via the primary cooking chamber.
- The construction quality and individual welding all fit together with ease.
- You’ll enjoy perfect heat distribution with a variation of about 5-15⁰F over the cooking chamber.
- The firebox can easily double as a warming rack and grill.
- Handy spacious bottom shelf for storing additional wood and cooking utensils.
- Its large wagon-shaped wheels allow for easy moving.
- You have to use a sealant to prevent leakages.
- The heating plates might be a little too thin for some people.
Char-Griller Smokin Pro
- Traditional charcoal grill with side firebox for Texas style barbecue
- Grill barrel and side firebox provide heavy-gauge powder-coated steel construction; nonstick cast-iron cooking grates for even heating
- Removable charcoal drawers allow users to add charcoal and dump ashes easily; double bottom for long-term durability
- Additional features include temperature gauge, storage rack and 2 wheels for easy transport. Heavy Duty Steel Construction
- 580 square inches of cooking surface ; 250 square inch side fire box for either charcoal cooking or smoking ; Total cooking area of the Char-Griller grill and smoker is 830 square inches
The Char-Griller Smokin Pro is one of the best budget offset smokers that you’ll find in the market today. This offset smoker is all about bringing the old Texas barbecuing style back in trend. With this unit, you get a primary cooking area of 580 square inches and an extra 250 square inches inside the firebox for warming and grilling. The side firebox and grill barrel of this smoker provide heavy-gauge. It also comes with solid steel construction with powder coating. One great feature about this smoker would be its cooking grates of cast-iron material. The grates will allow you to enjoy even heat distribution and also easy cleaning with its non-stick surface.
Another useful feature about this unit would be its fully removable charcoal drawers. You’ll be able to add the charcoal and also remove ashes easily. Here, you get double bottom for extended durability. The total dimension measures 62” x 29” x 50” and weighs a good 146 pounds. The unit doesn’t come pre-assembled, so you do need to set it up for yourself. The smoker’s additional features include a storage rack, temperature gauge, and two wheels for easier transportation. For modifications, make sure to use BBQ for sealing inside the griller, especially where your grill and firebox join together.
- Its durable steel construction and powder coating help combat breakage.
- Adding fuel and dumping ashes is super convenient.
- You get to control the level of heat with the adjustable charcoal tray.
- It welcomes modifications and performs just as well or even better.
- The product is quite sturdy, and heat distribution smokes steaks well.
- The material could use some more thickness.
- Its built-in thermometers aren’t the best.
Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Vertical Offset Smoker
- Features five chrome-plated cooking grates and a total cooking space of 1382 square inches
- Heavy-Gauge Steel Body Construction. The temperature gauge features a smoke zone which indicates the ideal temperatures for infusing the perfect amount for smoking flavor. Also, the cool to touch handles, allow you to access fuel and food safely.
- Cool-touch spring lid grip provides safer access to food
- Stainless temperature gauge with "Smoke Zone" indicates the ideal temperature for infusing smoke flavor
- Oversized steel wheels for mobility before and after use
The Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Vertical Offset Smoker will easily cater to a ton of people, especially during parties. It’s a vertical offset smoker, which allows you to cook with under limited space. Many buyers are often surprised by its effectiveness and low price. Its body consists of heavy-duty steel construction. Yes, it’s not of a professional-grade, but the unit is sturdy enough to withstand the heavy capacity and high-heat easily. Speaking about heavy capacity, this smoker features a massive smoking space of 1,098 square inches. This cooking space spreads over the five removable racks.
Also, its firebox comes with a grilling area of 284 square inches. Plus, you’ll receive sausage hooks that are pre-installed for hanging purposes. The vertical design of the smoker helps you in keeping the heat evenly throughout. The temperature control in this unit is also quite convenient, making smoking so much easier. Its dimension spans up to 45.5” x 24.9” x 58.8” inches and weighs about 124.3 pounds. This smoker also comes with wheels, so you can rest knowing that moving it around won’t be a problem.
- Excellent value for money and large cooking capacity.
- Its vertical shape doesn’t take up space.
- The cooking configuration of this unit is quite flexible.
- It helps keep even temperature and is super fuel-efficient.
- The ash pan easily slides out for easy cleanup.
- The metal could use some more thickness.
- You can expect some smoke leakages around the doors. To achieve a tighter seal, I would advise you to fit a LavaLack Gasket right around its doors.
Every barbecue or food fanatic tends to lust over an offset smoker. You probably did as well, or you won’t be here reading this post today. Well, I’m positive that any of these three offset smokers will efficiently carry out all the work for you. Also, the good thing is that these smokers fall under the $1500 price point. The quality is surprisingly good for its retailing price. Regardless of some of their minor drawbacks, these offset are the real deal.