Offset smokers occupy a more revered position when it comes to smokers. The reason is that they’re used a lot by both professionals and seasoned chefs. This means they do demand some skill and experience. But they’ll still lend themselves to the amateur who’s willing to learn and invest in the right machine.
While offset smokers are a class of their own, cheaper models can often be confusing to choose from. The trade-off for a low price is that the mechanism may not be all that great. And with offset smokers, you need every nut and bolt to be firmly in place to smoke well.
The separate firebox and large space make it essential for these smokers to have a sturdy built. So, don’t merely buy the cheapest model on the shelves. While it can be hard to distinguish a good one from a mediocre smoker, you can do it with the right information. Fortunately for you, we’ve rounded up this list of the best offset smokers under $2000. These are models that can fit a decent budget and deliver optimum smoking if used correctly.
The LKNJLL BBQ Grill Offset Smoker
- You will love the finest smoky flavors and then enjoy delicious filet...
- Made of high-quality automotive steel plate + over-temperature surface...
- Visual thermometer design, control the temperature of the furnace, and...
- Oversized barbecue area, it is easy to meet the barbecue party of 6-10...
The LKNJLL BBQ Grill Offset Smoker takes the crown as a great overall offset smoker. It boasts of well-treated steel plates and surface-temperature regulation. These features combine to give you a durable, sturdy, and reliable grill/smoker. Given a budget of around $2000, this one’s among the best smokers you can get.
The thermometer attached to the grill makes it easy for you to track your food’s cooking temperature. With any type of grill or smoker, this feature is a must. Smoking relies a lot on the furnace temperature, and the LKNJLL BBQ offset smoker gives you great control of the heat levels.
The grilling net is diamond-enameled. This means you don’t run the risk of contaminating the food with toxic metal particles while smoking. We do wish it had a slightly bigger cooking space. But with all the features it provides, the LKNJLL offset smoker is still a great deal.
- High-quality steel automotive plate.
- Easy control of temperature.
- Excellent smoking of a variety of meat and veggies.
- The cooking surface is not as big as the other models.
Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
- 900 total Square inch cooking surface- 619 Square inches in main chamber,...
- Reverse-flow smoker employs a Series of 4 baffles to guide heat and smoke...
- Removable baffles and optional smokestack locations for a customizable...
- Firebox chamber features large stainless Steel fuel basket and clean-out...
Remember what we said about avoiding cheaper offset smokers? Well, the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland smoker is one of the few exceptions. While most budget-friendly smokers will skim you off on the hardware, this smoker does the opposite. It delivers a body that has heavy-gauge steel and is built for durability.
One of the best features of this offset smoker is the reverse flow mechanism. Offset smokers can sometimes draw uneven heat. That’s because the firebox sits on one side and supplies the heat through a hole/funnel. With the reverse flow, the heat gets directed to the other side and then re-enters the fairer distribution body.
This means you get a much more even cook of whatever meat you’re smoking. It’s convenient if you have more significant quantities of meat spread out on the grill. You’ll find that each piece is as tender and moist as the next one.
- Great value for money
- Reverse flow provides even heat distribution.
- Firebox can double up as a handy grill.
- Heavy corners tend to have leaks after multiple uses (But nothing a quick sealant cannot fix).
Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro
- Traditional charcoal grill with side firebox for Texas style barbecue
- Grill barrel and side firebox provide heavy-gauge powder-coated steel...
- Removable charcoal drawers allow users to add charcoal and dump ashes...
- Additional features include temperature gauge, storage rack and 2 wheels...
The Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro gives you ample cooking space with a simple design. It goes with the classic winning-formula of the offset design without making too many additions. If you look for more budget-friendly options, you may have to let go of some additional features. And if accessories aren’t a priority, this smoker can deliver a decent cook on any day.
Budget smokers often get heat for inferior build or sub-par performance. And this is true for most offset smokers. But the Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro has the potential to be both cost-efficient and cooking-efficient if used correctly.
Some users prefer making minor modifications to the unit so that it performs better. This includes sealing corners and tightening the joints. While this may help the machine serve better, we leave it up to you to decide once you’ve tried the unit.
One impressive feature of the Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro is the 580 square-inches of cooking space. That’s more than enough to roll out batches of briskets and wings for a small crowd. Also, the additional 250 square-inches you get in the firebox isn’t all that bad either.
- Incredibly budget-friendly and cost-effective.
- It can double up as an excellent charcoal grill.
- Some units can develop leaks if not modified before use.
- The thermometer is not the most accurate.
Dyno-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Vertical Offset Smoker
- Features five chrome-plated cooking grates and a total cooking space of...
- Heavy-Gauge Steel Body Construction. The temperature gauge features a smoke...
- Cool-touch spring lid grip provides safer access to food
- Stainless temperature gauge with "Smoke Zone" indicates the ideal...
The Dyno-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Vertical Offset Smoker is one of the top contenders among vertical offset smokers in the market today. The brand is known for its quality builds and unconventional sizes sometimes. And with the DGSS1382VCS-D Vertical Offset Smoker, Dyno-Glo has set the bar high.
If you’re wondering why the model name is so long, it’s because it mentions the whopping 1382 square-inches of cooking space on the unit. The five-levels of cooking grates combine to give you not just space but additional layers to divide the food items.
Their handy temperature gauge gives you indicators for a ‘Smoke zone’ and a ‘Grill zone.’ So, you don’t have to be a real expert at precise temperatures to use this machine.
- Exceptional overall space for multiple items.
- Adjustable dampers give more control of heat and smoke.
- Charcoal trays can help heat distribution and even smoking.
- Individual trays may have issues accommodating complete pieces of meat.
While each of these models has specific strengths, there’s no single model that’s perfect for every situation. The best offset smoker for you is the one that fits the context and condition you need it for.
Feel free to check back on this article as we update new information and keep ranking the best offset smokers that appear.