Let's take a look at some of the differences between Pit Boss vs. Kamado Joe, their company's origins, and the type of smokers they make. As the barbeque season sets in, you might want to invest in a good grill if you haven't already.
There are varieties of grills in the store; however, Pitboss and Kamado Joe are the two most popular pellet smokers.
Kamado Joe Classic II vs. Pit Boss k24 Charcoal Grill
- Premium 18″ Ceramic Grill with Cast Iron Cart & Locking Wheels – The Kamado Joe Classic II gives the perfect cooking size of 18 inches along with its Premium cart that comes with the purchase of your grill, including locking casters and wheels.
- 2-Tier Divide & Conquer - Divide & Conquer Flexible Cooking System transforms the humble grill grate into the most powerful cooking tool in your arsenal. The revolutionary multi-level, half-moon design frees you to cook different foods in different styles at different temperatures—all at the same time
- Kontrol Tower Top Vent - Maintains consistent air setting for precise airflow management during dome opening and closing. Constructed of powder coated cast aluminum, the patent pending dual-adjustment top vent is rain resistant and allows you to smoke from 225F all the way to searing at 750F.
- Patented Air Lift Hinge – Reduce dome weight by 96% with the Patented Air Lift Hinge. The grill dome can be lifted with a single finger giving the most comfortable grilling experience there is.Removable Ash Catcher
- AMP (Advanced Multi-Panel) FireBox – The patent pending six-piece design eliminates breakage and increases grill efficiency.
Kamado Joe Classic II is an 18 inches premium Ceramic grill with a cast iron cart and locking wheels. The dome is constructed of powder-coated cast aluminum, which makes the smoker sturdy and durable. Some of the features of Kamado Joe Classic II are as follows:
- It has a flexible cooking system that allows you to enjoy a smooth grilling experience.
- You can quickly control and manage the air setting while opening and closing the dome.
- The grill also includes features like the AMP (Advanced multi-panel) Firebox that eliminates breakages and increases grill efficiency.
- You can easily lift the grill dome with a single finger as it has the patent airlift hinge. This feature of the grill reduces the dome's weight by 96%, making your grilling experience very comfortable.
The Pitboss K24 Charcoal Grill is the largest of its models and comes with a high-quality design. Its exterior is made of ceramic with a steel trim and shiny black coating. Some of the unique features of this grill are mentioned below:
The Pitboss K24 offers 5-in-1 cooking where you can smoke, bake, sear, roast, and char-grill.
It is perfect for large groups of people as it offers a 2-tiered stainless steel cooking station of up to 66 sq. inches.
You also get the authentic charcoal flavor that makes your meat much tastier.
The adjustable top and bottom dampers allow you to control the temperature quickly.
It also comes with a heavy-duty lid hinge that prevents the lid from slamming the steel trim. Also, the fold-down bamboo side shelves provide extra space for your barbeque accessories.
Kamado Joe's Company Overview
Kamado Joe was founded in 2009 by Kerry Coker and Bobby Brennan just outside Atlanta. The Kamado Joe has established itself as a top-notch brand in the pellet grill manufacturing industry. With its smart technology, unparalleled craftsmanship, and innovative features, Kamado Joe's grills have captured the market.
Kamado Joe offers a wide range of pellet grills that have exciting names. It includes the Classic, the Big Joe, the Pro Joe, the Joe Jr., etc. Kamado Joe imports most of its products from Yixing in China. One of their unique features is the Divide and Conquer grilling system that allows you to adjust the height while grilling.
Pit Boss's Company Overview
Pit Boss was founded in 1999 by Dan Thiessen and his sons, Jeff and Jordan. It is a subsidiary of Dansons, Inc., and they also own Louisiana Grills. Pit Boss products are known for their versatility and durability.
Pit Boss takes pride in being one of the best companies to manufacture high-quality pellet smokers. It is also one of the fastest-growing companies within the industry. The two founding principles of Pit Boss are to provide more extensive, hotter, heavier grills than their competitors and to improve their product constantly. Pit Boss manufactures most of the pellet smokers from China.
Kamado Joe vs. Pit Boss:
Let's take a look at both the products in detail to understand their differences better.
The price of both the Pit Boss and the Kamado Joe grills depends on the product's design and size. However, from a general perspective, Kamado Joe's products are a little pricier when compared to those of the Pit Boss.
Both Pit Boss and Kamado Joe are made of a Ceramic exterior, giving the grill an exquisite finished look. Also, both Pit Boss and Kamado Joe produce high-quality pellet smokers and grills.
However, when it comes to quality control, Kamado Joe's products are always on the top-notch. They do not compromise with quality and often strive to improve their product.
Furthermore, both brands upgrade their product with innovative features and the latest technologies.
Before buying a pellet smoker, it is essential to check how well the grill keeps the temperature steady. Two critical factors that influence the temperature are insulation and digital controller.
Pit Boss offers double-wall insulation in some of their models. Moreover, they do a great job in maintaining a steady temperature and regulating the smoke while cooking.
Kamado Joe also has features like the Kontrol Tower Top Vent, which maintains the air setting for precise airflow management. The Powder-coated cast aluminum also helps in maintaining a steady temperature.
Kamado Joe has a higher temperature range as you can smoke from 225 F to 750 F. On the other hand, Pit Boss pellet grills have the temperature setting at 400 F to 500 F. However, some of its models can go up to 700 F.
You can grill, roast, bake, and sear in both the grills; however, Pit Boss takes it to the next level with its capability to grill with open flame.
Pit Boss offers options as you can choose from our massive grills to portable grills. On the contrary, Kamado Joe provides three different sizes, which includes Big Joe (24"), Classic (18"), and Joe Jr. (13.5")
Pellet Hopper size
A pellet hopper size will determine how long you can set the smoker and forget about it. When it comes to pellet hopper size, both Pit boss and Kamado Joe offer variety in hopper size for unaided cooking.
All Pit Boss products come with an impressive 5-year warranty. On the other hand, Kamado Joe provides a lifetime warranty on its ceramic parts, a 5-year warranty on the metal parts, 3- year warranty on the heat deflectors & Pizza stone, and one year warranty on the thermometer and gaskets.