Ask any proud owner of a charcoal smoker, and they will say that nothing beats a slice of meat cooked in this cooker. But apart from the flavorful meat, charcoal smokers have a lot to bring to the table.
So, how do you narrow down on the best charcoal smoker for the money? We set out on a mission to find that elusive charcoal smoker. Today we present the results to you.
5 Best Charcoal Smoker For The Money
Are you just starting your smoking food journey? Don't worry my young novice, i've got you covered. This is the list of the top electric smokers for people starting out.
Our Overall #1 Rated Pick
Pit Boss is a name to be reckoned with in the smoker world for its outstanding quality. The PBK22 comes with a kamado design and premium ceramic. Among the top features, we like about this grill are the shock-absorbing plunger and swivel casters that perform impressively.
Moreover, the PBK22 has a cooking area of 573sq.inch, so you can quickly cook enough for a small party. Besides, the grill is portable too. A combination of dual side bamboo shelves and an ash tool kit also makes this grill very practical to use.
Lastly, the PBK22 comes with a price tag that is not for everyone. However, this charcoal grill is worth checking out if you are looking to invest in one.
How to make a better choice
Are you planning to get your first charcoal smoker? Here's how to choose the best one.
The five types of charcoal grills and their best uses are:
Kamado – A vertical smoker, the kamado has an egg-shaped design. These are ideal smokers if you want versatility while cooking. Its unconventional appearance also makes a great conversation starter.
Vertical Cabinet – Like a small fridge, you might want to check them out if you love smoking your meat often.
Water or Bullet – This one closely resembles a bullet and is an excellent choice if you are on a budget.
Horizontal offset – These look very similar to an old oven and are great for those with some cooking experience.
Kettle Grill – A ubiquitous sight for outdoor cooking lovers, the kettle grill is an excellent choice if you plan to hone your grilling skills.
Build quality vs. efficiency
When it comes to charcoal grills, the build quality and efficiency go hand in hand. Kamados are among the most efficient. However, charcoal grills that have sealing components such as gaskets are also very efficient.
Budget vs. Price
Price does not translate to an outstanding performance when it comes to the grill. The best charcoal smoker for the money is one that works great without costing a fortune.
What are the advantages/benefits?
The meat smoked from a charcoal grill is something that other cookers cannot replicate. According to a Forbes report, up to 53% of grill owners in America prefer the charcoal category.
Charcoal grills are also among the most affordable ones making them very accessible.
Most charcoal grills have a folding feature, which means you can take them wherever you go.
What's the best way to use a charcoal grill.
As simple as it sounds, there are some top ways to use a charcoal grill so you get the most out of it. Take a look at the tips below.
The art of venting
Charcoal smokers do not come with dials and knobs for temperature adjustment. So learning to vent the smoker correctly is a necessity.
Oiling the grate
Consider oiling the cooking grate before you start cooking. It makes cleaning easy and also produces the best grill marks on the meat. In this regard, you might want to preheat the smoker as well.
Know your wood
Apple, cherry, mesquite, and hickory are the classic choices for grilling and barbequing on a charcoal smoker. But feel free to experiment with different flavors as well.
Alternate options for the best charcoal smoker for the money.
- Your purchase includes: One Weber 14-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, Charcoal Smoker + Cover
- Item overall dimensions: 14.7" W x 14.7" D x 31.4" H. Item weight: 24 lbs
- Cooking Grid Dimensions 13 1/2 X 13 1/2". Main Grilling Area 143 Sq. Inches. Total Grilling Area 286 Sq. Inches
- Easy assembly required, instructions avaialable in User Guide attachment.
- Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker reaches approximadetely 190°F inside temperature
This charcoal smoker has a cooking area of 286sq.inch and can reach 190oF. Moreover, the smoker has a very reliable construction with rust-resistant metal legs and steel-plated cooking grates.
In addition, the built-in thermometer makes it easy to monitor how well your food is cooking. Furthermore, setting up this charcoal smoker is effortless too.
- 314 square inches of primary cooking space, warming rack 133 square inches for a total of 447 square inches
- Assembled Dimensions: 45" L x 31" W x 47" H | Weight: 97.0 lb
- Insulated design means more heat uses less charcoal and less airflow means insulated heat for juicy meat and folding side shelves
- Cooking surface is cast iron, Body is constructed of 22 gauge steel, Exterior finish is powder coated steel, Interior finish is porcelain coated steel
- Cart is constructed of tubular steel w/rubber wheels, locking caster on front, Indexed damper is numbered so you can note the position of the damper
The E16620 Akorn is another kamado design grill with a temperature range of 200 to 700o F. It has a generous cooking area with 447sq.inch. But the best feature about this charcoal grill is the premium construction with 22gauge steel and coated steel.
Besides, the addition of wheels means you can take this smoker on the go. Furthermore, the double insulation on this smoker is a feature worth pointing out.
This interesting-looking smoker might be the answer to your portable cooking dreams. Measuring 14 inches, you can fit the cooker into a car and take it anywhere to enjoy outdoor cooking.
It measures 33 inches in height and 21 in width, which gives you a good space for cooking a large meal. The Cooker Junior also comes with a provision for multiple accessories that makes cooking all the more fun.
- Ability to move between temperatures of 200Degree and 700Degree+ in minutes
- Superior heat retention creates more eco-friendly coal consumption and reduced ash
- The self contained cooking environment eliminates hot spots and flare ups
- Ceramic construction eliminates exterior contact burn risk and allows for year-round grilling from negative 30Degree to over 100Degree weather
- 596 square Inch of grill space
This charcoal smoker is an attention grabber with its bright red exterior. It also comes with excellent features, including a wide temperature range of 200 to 700oF. In addition, the heat retention of this ceramic charcoal is outstanding.
Another of our favorite features is the wide cooking area of 596sq.inch. Besides, this ceramic smoker also has the best warranty in its class. This charcoal grill also comes in four sizes – compact, large, large deluxe, and XL Plus, which is just the cherry on top.