Ever wonder how to make your life easier on a BBQ day? Simply, press a switch on an electric smoker, and you have meat for the whole Sunday.
This type of grill is incredibly convenient and worry-free; the only pain is deciding which electric smoker is best for you.
That's why we made this guide to remove the discomfort of finding the best electric smoker, so you can spend additional efforts on cooking the food.
We reviewed these top electric smokers for the year 2020 based on their functions, remarkable features and use, and their marketability and products affordability wherein you can choose any of these top smokers as according to what and how it fits accordingly to your needs. Read each one of them and check out yourself.
Top 6 Electric Smokers
Looking for the top electric smokers to buy online? Here are my top 6 picks! Continue reading to learn more about buying an electric smoker online without getting ripped off.
1. Masterbuilt MB20074719 (best price and value)
2. CUISINART COS-330 (best portable)
3. Char-Broil Analog (best budget)
4. Masterbuilt MB20071117 (best for beginner)
5. Bradley Smoker BTDS108P
6. Dyna-Glo DGU732SDE-D
- Bluetooth Smart technology allows you to monitor and control your meat and smoker temperature from your smart device or digital control panel
- One meat probe thermometer included
- Patented side wood chip loading system allows you to add wood chips without opening smoker door
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks
- Interior light illuminates food in low light when door is open
This electric smoker is so high tech that it uses Bluetooth technology. Its Bluetooth Smart technology allows you to control your meat and smoker temperature from your smart device or any digital control panel. It also has a thermometer included for you to check the temperature. It has a secured and patented side for wood chips that allows you to add wood chips. Lastly, it has a built-in interior light that glows on the food when the grill door is being opened. If you’re looking for the best electric grill that is so trendy and high tech nowadays, this is for you. In all aspects, this electric grill is perfect in all features when it comes to having the coolest grill in the town, which would make your colleagues. Barbecue friends, go over wow with your new gadget.
If you are buying this electric smoker only for the Bluetooth feature, you might be disappointed. But if you are never planning on using Bluetooth, this is still an excellent electric smoker.
Satisfied User Takeaway: “… I already paired Bluetooth and am smoking chicken and a beef roast. Paired easily, the app is fantastic. The smoker itself is great. It holds a lot of variety, produces a great amount of smoke, and most importantly, is working properly! Our last smoker was a Masterbuilt, we still have it, and it still works, actually, but we needed something a little smaller because we moved and didn’t have as large a patio. Absolutely happy with this purchase, love Masterbuilt!” – Holly
- 548 SQUARE INCHES OF INTERIOR: The spacious 548 square inch interior means there is plenty of room to smoke a variety of meats and vegetables. The vertical footprint makes it a perfect size for patios and barbecue kitchens.
- Product Dimensions: 19.88" L x 17.32" W x 33.3" H | Weight: 59 lb
- THREE REMOVABLE STAINLESS-STEEL SHELVES: Three stainless steel racks can be easily removed for smoking large cuts of meat. Racks are dishwasher safe, making cleanup easy.
- BUILT-IN THERMOMETER: Features easy-to-read thermometer on the front door for accessible monitoring of the internal temperature.
- 1500-WATT HEATING ELEMENT: Featuring a heating coil that provides the 1500-watt heating element able to produce a temperature from 100°F to 400°F easily controlled with a dial.
If you are looking for a portable electric smoker, this is a perfect match for your interest. Weighing only 51.5 pounds, this smoker is lightweight and easy to move. But it does mean you can’t smoke a variety of meats and vegetables because it has a spacious 548 square inch interior in a vertical footprint that is perfect for patios and outdoor barbecue kitchens.
This also allows you to arrange its three removable chrome racks for smoking whole birds and large cuts of meat. Its versatility makes smoking delicious foods easier than ever before because it has a built-in thermometer on the front door that will help you monitor internal temperatures at a glance. Once you have loaded the meat and selected the temperature, you can walk away and relax with your friends—there’s never a need to add charcoal or tend to a fire to keep a consistent temperature.
So get that smoky flavor without using a traditional charcoal smoker, and enjoy smoking for a large group of people, especially if you’re the one who throws a party.
Satisfied User Takeaway: “This is a nice smoker with a fairly compact footprint. Great for small patios or decks. It was effortless to assemble, taking me less than 1 hour to put it together…”
- 544 Square inches of cooking space spread across three chrome-plated cooking grates
- Double-wall insulated construction with dual exhaust ports.Wash cooking grate with warm soapy water, rinse and dry throughly
- Door-mounted temperature gauge, and dual latches to keep door sealed shut
- Front-access water tray, grease cup and wood chip tray
- Measures 20.7 in W x 33.5 in H x 15 in D. 1, 000 watt electric element
If you’re on a tight budget and just think of buying a grill that would serve your purpose of simply having your beef and lamb meats being just simply grilled, this grill is for you.
It is highly affordable and the fittest for practical people who just want to start with a simple and basic grill that does its purpose in grilling meat. With just a couple of almost $200, you could have this basic grill with double-wall built-in construction and has dual exhaust ports.
It also has a door-mounted temperature gauge for a temperature check and dual latches to secure and make the grill door always shut. Aside from that, it has a front access water tray, grease cup for oil, and a wood chip tray for your wood chips. It measures 20.7 in W x 33.5 in H x 15 in D. and has only 1, 000-watt electric element.
Satisfied User Takeaway: “I love this smoker. Historically I’ve been a fan of real wood and charcoal smoking. I’ve used the world-famous “Big Green Egg” for well over a decade. That said, I bought this smoker on a whim to use while camping. It only weighs about 50 pounds, so it’s easy enough to toss in the back of my truck and hit the road. After a few uses, I’ve got to say; I may not go back to my charcoal powered Big Green Egg. This little electric smoker is so incredibly easy to use that it’s a life changer…” - Bill.
Best for Beginners
- Digital panel controls on/off, cooking temperature and time
- Electric Smoker dimensions – 20.47" W x 19.88" L x 33.26" H | Max temperature setting – 275ᵒ F | Inside capacity – 2 Turkeys, 4 Pork Butts, 4 Racks of Ribs, 6 Chickens
- Patented side wood chip loading system allows you to add wood chips without opening door
- Thermostat-temperature control for even, consistent smoking
- Fully-insulated body retains heat
Are you worried about not being a skilled griller? Do future mistakes bother you to start your new skill? Worry no more because this digital electric smoker is perfect for both the beginner and the pro to achieve competition-ready results. Without much hassle, you can simply plug this in and set the digital controls.
You could experiment with flavor through the patented side wood chip loader without opening the smoker door. And its four-chromed rack will let you smoke up to 2 turkeys, 6 chickens, 4 racks of ribs, and 4 pork butts. It also has a thermostat-temperature control so you can ensure an even and consistent smoking to make restaurant-quality baby back ribs, chicken, beef short ribs, and more.
As for taste, you honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between this smoker and a Weber bullet kettle unit that runs charcoal. As long as you mind your temp, pulling at the appropriate time, and using a quality rub, you're going to get good results. Three rounds of chips were more than enough for excellent flavor and penetration in a 12-hour, 6-pound brisket flat smoke. The unit's sealed environment really traps smoke like a champ, arguably better than traditional units.
Tip: Boil some water and pour it into the water pan when starting a smoke. The chip tray is between the heating element and the water pan, so it takes hours to get cold water steaming. Steam helps smoke adhere to the meat, so boiled, steaming water right out of the gate is your friend. It makes a huge difference in the final product.
Satisfied User Takeaway: “This is all you could want or expect from an electric smoker. I've been extremely pleased with the results. So far, I've done ribs, brisket, whole chickens, chicken legs, chicken wings, peppers and corn in this thing, all with great results.” – JMS
- Four chrome-plated Steel cooking grates offer a total of 732 Square inches in cooking space
- Set and monitor cooking time or temperatures with digital thermostat and control panel display
- Track the internal temperature of the food without disturbing the cooking process with the integrated meat thermometer
- Removable rib rack and sausage hooks offer additional cooking options
- Access water or wood chips without losing smoke or heat with the bottom access drawer
For an additional option to choose from any of the electronic grills that you may want to have, this is a perfect one for you. Having the same functions of an electronic grill which has a digital temperature checker, and digital control panel display that can be able to track the internal temperature of the food without affecting the cooking process of your meat—because it’s pretty annoying, you know if you have to know the temperature of the food but you can’t because the traditional grills won’t allow you for that but all thanks for all these digital electronic grillers which has now been invented for us to make sure our lives are much easier than before. So, there it is, it can allow you to see the temperature, control the temp, and has additional cooking options made for you just in case you would like to grill other foods such as sausages, ribs, and many more.
Aside from those, it also has a perfect built-in for wood chips an access water tank without affecting the heat through its bottom access drawer. Sounds pretty amazing, right? It has adjustable door latches to protect your meat from not disturbing the process of smoking and cooking itself. It has a really very secured door seal lamp that helps minimize the smoke and heat loss that would affect your cooking if they weren’t secured enough. You could have these functions around for this only 1000-watt burner. It could generate a lot of cooking prowess and power, especially in colder places or climates that might need additional warmth and heat for its environmental temperature.
Satisfied User Takeaway: “Very impressed with this smoker! It is easy to operate and adds a good amount of smoke. I would highly recommend this smoker. I have done a Boston butt and jerky and very pleased with the outcome.” – Jacob Spark
- Made of highest quality material
- Manufacturer: Bradley Smoker
- Bradley digital 6 rack smoker.Rack Area:858sq
- Ash catcher is easy to remove for quick, hassle-free cleanup
- Exterior dimensions-17 W x 14 D x 39 H inches. Interior dimensions-15 W x 11.5 D x 33 H inches
Have some temperature control issues? This digital grill would allow you to have hands-on control of your temperature. It is perfect as the most grill for temperature control. We all know that the key to perfect grilled meat is all in its temperature. If meat is set at a perfect temperature, then the meat will be, in turn, perfectly grilled as it is supposed to be.
All you just have to do is set the proper temperature, so it is also an issue for all sophisticated meat grillers because the key to having perfectly grilled meat lies in its temperatures. Aside from that, it is also made in the highest quality material, so if you’re looking for a grill that’s carefully done and picked because of quality, sure this one is for you. It has 6 cooking racks that allow you to grill more food and 8 hours of controlled cool smoke that won’t bother you. It can also be used to cook meat, chicken, pork, and fish and has 9 different hardwood flavors that help your meat's texture and taste.
Satisfied User Takeaway: “I purchased my Bradley smoker as a Christmas gift to my family. I had been looking for a good way to smoke meat and found this smoker highly recommended…This smoker is easy to use, well supported, and much appreciated. I am happy to give them my highest endorsement.” – Waif.
What to Consider When Buying a Smokers (Pros and Cons)
Using the trendy electric smoker is so relevant these days as it has many cool features that could help you do the grilling at a new level. Grilling would never be a boring or tedious task anymore as it has an additional feature that could help you achieve the best-grilled meat you had ever imagined.
Given those circumstances, there will always be series of pros and cons as to why using them could be an advantage or a disadvantage. Knowing these are important and may help you realize, reflect, and understand if you would really like to have them or not. It would also allow you to know how you can use them in some situations or some circumstances.
Knowing about the pros and cons would help you understand, know and ask questions about which is really better and know if it’s better because our feelings won’t say that to us. Otherwise, we have these personal feelings toward things. Nevertheless, feelings can also be considered to know if you are comfortable using these electronic smokers, knowing their pros and cons.
- Convenience. Using electronic smokers are made for your own convenience. Using them, you don’t have to manually light up a barbecue grill because it works using electricity. It is important that you know that they are safe enough to use by checking their plugs, cable wires, how they are made of, and run multiple tests first before actually using them. Electronic gadgets are dangerous to use compared to manual objects because it is solely run by electricity. If the cable wires and plugs are not properly placed, it might cause fire and lead to accidents. They are convenient enough, but if you are not cautious enough, it might not get safe. Just make sure that the electronic smoker that you’re going to use is really made with quality. Making sure that it is made with quality is knowing how they work and testing them. You would never know how good a thing is unless you test them. Nevertheless, it will always be made for your convenience not to get dirty or do a lot of work other than manual grills.
- Trendy and cool to use. If you are that person who’s always wanting to be always on the trend of all things, then this one's for you. Electric smokers are nowadays in the 21st century. If you want to be the person on your group who's kicking up some barbecue party, it will make you a well-off and trendy person when you use automatic grills. Convenience is the trend nowadays, and most people would like things to set up automatically. Those things require no effort, and that is the trend nowadays.
- Ease To Use. Some smokers are easier to use than others. If you’re the type of person that doesn’t want to have to constantly watch on your grill or wants to be able to place your food on in the evening and get a night’s sleep while it’s cooking at a set temperature, you’ll want to consider a type of smoker that doesn’t require babysitting. If you think you’ll like the hands-on fun and experience of having to control a fire, and to tweak and manage temperatures manually, then look for charcoal or wood-burning option. If you want ‘set and forget’ hands-off precision, where you can start a cook, set a temperature, and then walk away for hours at a time, then go for an electric or pellet smoker. But if you want something in combination, then you might want to consider a gas.
- Portability. If you’re someone who may sometimes be invited to friends’ homes and cabins and want to be able to take your smoker with you. Or you might want to take it camping or on vacation. To do this, you’re going to want a smoker that can easily be carried in the bed of a pickup or the trunk of a car. You must consider the limits on how you can transport it to take it with you.
- Budget. Sometimes, we tend to settle for an appliance that catches our eyes and interests, but not our budget. Like anything we buy, typically, the more we spend, the higher the quality will be. But consider it to be realistic. Set a budget, stick to it, and don’t be swayed by higher priced models that you really cannot afford. You can create fantastic food on models costing just a couple of hundred dollars, so don’t feel pressured to overspend.
- Inconsistent Quality. While the high-end units can be well assembled, the cheaper units found in your hardware store may not be as well constructed. Cheaper units might not hold heat well, leak smoke, making them hard to get consistent results.
- Lots of Monitoring. Some smokers require a lot of babysitting and monitoring. You may have to add fuel every hour that overnight smoke will be out of the question unless you don’t mind not sleeping. You better switch to the “set it, forget it” trend.
- Temperature Hostage. It is difficult for low-cost electric smokers to get to the correct temperature when it becomes cold outside. Heating elements on these smokers can only put out so much warmth. Specifically, these are constructed for Low and Slow. If all of a sudden, you need these electric smokers to generate high heat to reward for cold outside temperatures, you will be dissatisfied. Low-cost electric smokers will also suffer from very windy environments.
- Capacity. Many electric smokers are constructed to be cheap and easy but are not designed for larger capacity preparation. Some popular smokers are great for chicken and sausages but are not spacious enough for a full slab of ribs without cutting them in half. So make sure you get a 40-inch electric smoker if you want to smoke a full packer brisket or whole slabs of ribs, or else you’ll not manage to prepare for large scale cooks.
- Rain. Rain is another dangerous enemy of electric smokers. Obviously, because water and electricity will not combine well, and most of the time, light rain will cause these smokers to throw a breaker or trip a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). You certainly don’t want that to happen, do you?
Electric Smoker Frequently Asked Questions
Are electric smokers as good as charcoal?
Decide what your top priority is. If you’re after convenience above all else, go with an electric smoker. If you want the best smoky flavor at all costs, then you’ll want a charcoal meat smoker. If you mainly want convenience, but you’d like better flavor than the electric offers, get a propane smoker.
How do electric smokers make smoke?
Electricity heats an element at the bottom of the smoker. Wood chips are placed above the heating element where they can smolder.
How long should wood chips last?
According to Masterbuilt, you should only add chips once, and they should last for around an hour:
We recommend that you only put your smoking wood into the chip holder after the smoker has reached temperature and the heating light has turned off.
You only need to add wood chips once in most cases in the first 20 minutes or so; it should last for around 1 hour or so.
You will find that once the meat has started to cook, it will seal in the juices and the smoke flavor that will continue to be absorbed into your meat. If you keep adding smoke after that point, it will build upon the outside of the meat and make it very strong.
Can you use an electric smoker in the house?
Electric smokers can absolutely be used indoors, and any electric smoker will do, as long as it doesn’t use gas, charcoal, or wood for fuel. Using highly combustible fuel in indoor grilling is unsafe, so that’s why most people in small condo’s use an electric smoker grill.
Do you have to soak wood chips before using them?
According to Napoleon, soaking your wood chips and chunks is unnecessary, and here’s why: (1) It takes more than 24 hours for a significant amount of moisture to penetrate the wood. (2) Soaked wood is producing steam. (3) Soaked wood will lower the smoker’s temperature.
Wood chips and wood chunks that have been soaked need to remove any moisture before generating smoke. The water on the wood will need to heat to 212° F (water boiling point) until it has been evaporated. Only then will it begin to smoke.
How do you clean an electric smoker?
It’s vital to keep your electric smoker clean and dry after you use it. Do not use a strong cleaner or large amounts of water. You just need to wipe the surface after you use it and eliminate any burnt food. When you keep the inside surface as dry as possible, it will help you avoid mold.
Many smoker owners use magic eraser pads from Mr. Clean to clean their smokers without chemicals. Another best trick to consider is to use a homemade mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. You can also consider using alcohol.