The best gas smoker for the money is one that has good cooking space and is versatile. Unlike popular misconception, gas smokers don't need a thousand-dollar price tag to cook the best meat.
These propane-powered smokers produce some of the best-tasting meat and food.
Today, we have picked some of the best gas smokers that are bang for your buck.
5 Best Gas Smoker For The Money
Are you just starting your smoking food journey? Don't worry my young novice, i've got you covered. This is the list of the top electric smokers for people starting out.
Our Overall #1 Rated Pick
Our top choice of the best gas smoker for the money is the 3-series from Pit Boss. This vertical gas smoker is more significant with a cooking area of 720sq.inch.
Moreover, the 77435 model in the 3-series is sturdy and reliable. You can also switch between 100 and 320oF temperature according to your food. In addition, the generous front window on the grill means you can look inside at the four racks without opening. Furthermore, the rear wheels help in mobility.
Overall, the 77435 vertical gas smoker might be a perfect match for you if you love cooking your meat with consistency and great taste.
How to choose the best gas smoker
Larger size gas smokers come with varying cooking zones meaning more versatility. However, for most home cooks, a 32-inch gas smoker is a perfect pick.
The best gas smokers cone with stainless cooking grids. This will ensure the durability of the grids. In addition, thick cooking grids are also an essential feature for heat retention and durability. Short-spaced grids also ensure the best grill marks and caramelization on the meat.
Gas grill burners
Often considered the heart of the grill, the burners need to be top quality. Ideally, you want the burners to be made of thick materials. Furthermore, keep in mind that a high BTU rating alone does not determine the quality of the burner.
The best gas smoker for the money comes with double line construction that is fully welded.
What are the advantages/benefits of a gas smoker?
Vertical gas smokers allow you to cook a wide range of food. This can range from grilling corn, smoking meat, cooking pizza, or a hamburger.
Ease of use
Another fantastic advantage of vertical gas smokers is the ease of use. Automatic settings and programs make it among the most accessible cookers to use, even for first-timers. In addition, the initial setup is also effortless.
The flavor of smoked meat or fish is something most of us love on our palates. The perfect mix of sweetness and citrusy flavors cannot be replicated through other forms of cooking.
Despite their fancy appearance, vertical gas smokers are very easy on the wallet. Even if you plan to get your hands on a top-class smoker, you can do so without spending a fortune.
What's the best way to use a gas smoker?
To get the most out of gas smokers, we share the top tips in this section:
Chips over chunks
For vertical gas smokers, wood chips are probably the best option. Chips heat up faster but keep the temperature steady and prevent smokers from overheating. You can, of course, turn off the gas supply when the smoker gets to the right temperature.
Use complementary wood chips
Complementary flavors between the wood chips and the meat or fish are a great way to bring out the best tastes. Alder is an excellent choice for fishes, while pecan is great for steak and cherry works with birds and poultry.
Clean the smoker after each use
This is important so that your recent catch or the new batch of meat doesn't retain the charred smell.
Precautions for using a gas smoker
Read the manual
Safety while using a gas smoker is paramount. So read the smoker's user manual before you use it.
Check that the gas flame hasn't gone out to prevent toxic gas buildup.
Use the vertical gas smoker in a well-ventilated area. Keep the tank's valve shut when not in use.
Alternate options for the best gas smoker for the money
This 18in gas smoker has a sturdy construction. In addition, the temperature ranges from 50 to 550oF and allows versatile cooking. Moreover, the snap ignition prevents overheating.
Despite its relatively small dimensions, this smoker has three smoking racks. Therefore, it might be an ideal cooker for you if you like smoking your meat and eating it.
- 5. 45 SQUARE FEET OF INTERIOR: The spacious 5. 45 square foot interior means there is plenty of room to smoke a variety of meats along with several trays of vegetables. The vertical footprint makes it a perfect size for patios and barbecue kitchens.
- Product Dimensions: 19.3" L x 18.1" W x 38.6" H | Weight: 69.5 lb
- FOUR 14 X 14-INCH REMOVABLE STAINLESS STEEL SHELVES: Four stainless steel racks can be easily removed for smoking whole birds or large cuts of meat. Racks are dishwasher safe, making cleanup easy.
- BUILT-IN THERMOMETER: Features easy-to-read thermometer on the front door for accessible monitoring of the internal temperature.
- TOTAL TEMPERATURE AND SMOKE CONTROL: An adjustable gas supply gives control over the amount of heat. Optimal smoker access through two doors and a rear vent can be opened or closed to control the amount of heat and smoke exiting the oven.
The COS-244 is undeniably the best gas smoker for the money contender in our books. At 36 inches, you can cook perfectly for a party. Furthermore, the COS-244 is predominantly steel and comes with a 20lb propane tank.
Moreover, it has top features, including a seal-tight handle, temperature control, and a built-in thermometer.
- A total of 784-square inch of cooking space for smoked flavored foods. 4 adjustable steel wire racks
- A 15,000 btu cast iron burner with an electronic push button ignition, and a large control dial
- Porcelain enameled steel wood chip box with handles and lid for choice of wood chips and porcelain enameled steel water bowl
- An easy to use double-door design (upper/lower) for greater heating/smoking, cooking control, sliding air dampers on top and sides for the choice of smoked/cooking heat control options, and a nice decorative temperature gauge with decor ring
- Csa certified. warranty 1 year limited. assembly dimensions length 27-inch by depth 19.20-inch by height 46.46-inch weight 54 lbs
The DGY784BDP from Dyna-Glo is another spacious gas smoker at 36inches. With 784.sq inch of cooking space and 15,000 BTU, you will love cooking with this smoker.
Moreover, the multiple cooking options on this smoker are effortless to use. In addition, the double door design and the black powder coat make this smoker a total standout.
- Temperature sensor controls burner to maintain desired temperature
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks
- Safety valve shuts off Burner if flame is extinguished
- Type 1 regulator with fuel level Gauge and hose – Fuel level Gauge indicates the amount of propane in the tank
- Heat diffuser evenly distributes heat from burner
The last one of the best gas smokers for the money list is the MB20050716 from Masterbuilt. The heat diffuser in this smoker is a top feature and a personal favorite. It distributes the heat evenly.
In addition, the four cooking racks are enough to cook a good quantity at one go. Therefore, if you love cooking outside, the portable feature might be right up your alley.