Welcome to our pellet smoker review. The main reason why BBQ enthusiasts buy a pellet smoker is the convenience and unique smokey flavor that’s not achieved by other kinds of smokers.
But we will also cover topics like:
Do pellet smokers give good smoke flavor?
Are pellet smokers worth it?
Are pellet smokers unhealthy?
Plus, we will find the best pellet smoker for you.
5 Best Pellet Smokers
Looking for the best pellet smokers to buy online? Here are my top 6 picks! Continue reading to make an educated buying decision.
Our Overall #1 Rated Pick
The 820 Sportsman by Pit Boss is our favorite pellet smoker.
First off, the years of experience of Pit Boss means it’s designed with you in mind. You can quickly assemble and cook your meat to perfection with the built-in LED read-out that gives you precise control of your pellet grill.
Moreover, you get a sizeable 21-pound hopper with a viewing window, a built-in spice rack, and even a bottle opener. It’s truly made for the perfect weekend BBQ.
Lastly, you can achieve direct or indirect heat in a temperature range of 180° to 500°F. Plus, you can smoke, bake, braise, roast, grill, barbecue, char-grill, and sear - with the 8-in-1 cooking versatility.
Your search for a grill with multiple cooking options Ends Here.
Digital Pro Controller for advanced grilling logic. You can maintain a +/- 15-degree f temperature control* to guarantee precision grilling.
Bestselling & classic sawhorse chassis for linebacker-like stability and rugged wheels to conquer any backyard terrain.
Porcelain-coated grill grates that stop food from sticking, which is great for when it comes time to clean up the grill.
Are you planning a big BBQ party at the weekend? This pellet smoker has you covered. You can cook in six different methods, grilling, smoking, baking, roasting, braising, and BBQ-ing food over the heat.
The large 884 square unit cooking space can accommodate 40 burgers all at once, or 8 chickens, or 7 racks of ribs.
While these stats might seem intimidating, it’s straightforward to use. Traeger Grills prides itself in its "set it and forget it" easy to follow instructions.
Customer Review: "After years of trying other smokers varying from gas, electric, charcoal, I bit the bullet and bought a Traeger Pro 34. I’ve had it for four months and use it 2-3 times a week. I have done countless racks of ribs, brisket, pork butts, tenderloins, hotdogs, hamburgers, even meatloaf (my favorite out of everything). I clean it regularly and have no issues at all. Excellent size for a family of five plus extra room for entertaining. Wish I would have bought it earlier."
Very user-friendly design. The digital temperature control on the 7002B lets you turn it on to your desired temp and let it work away. Now more stoking coals or babysitting the grill.
Built-in auger system that automatically adjusts the pellet feed rate for consistent temperatures to make the perfect infused with wood-fired flavor.
8 cooking styles in 1 smoker. You can grill, smoke, bake, roast, sear, braise, barbecue, or char-grill, this Z Grill will perform any BBQ purpose.
For the price and useability this pellet grill is beginner friendly. First, the user friendly design let’s cook in a variety of different styles and has built in technology so you can set it and forget it.
It’s efficient! The pellet grill uses the lowest amount of pellets possible. You can use the grill for 20 hours non-stop with just 20 pounds of pellets. Compared to gas or charcoal smoker this pellet smoker will cost you less to run because it’s that efficient.
Moreover, the smokers internal temperature stays within a range of -10 or +10 of the temperature you set. This temperate range is consistent and is not affected by the external weather.
There is a specially-designed waste oil collector that can pull out and dump for a fast clean. It's a similar concept for dump out ash pans of charcoal and kamado grills.
Customer Review: “Purchased the ZGrill a month ago and it came in a week. It’s easy assemble, took roughly 2 hours, however my 4 year old insisted with helping so that added some extra time. Smoked brisket overnight for the first run with a MEATER thermometer and ambient temp tracked a very consistent temp. So far, so good. Love it and highly recommend it.”
PID and WIFI controller lets you regulate smoke and temperature. The easy to use PID’s controller gives you the industry’s most precise grill temperature. This allows to cook the perfect brisket with an app.
The sidekick cooking area lets you smoke your brisket while you continue to cook. You get a modest surface area: 231 sq. in.
Large hopper size - ontop of being automatic the hopper can hold 22lbs. of pellets.
This is the new version of the Camp Chef SmokePro Stainless Pellet Grill with a PID Gen 2 Digital Controller. PID Digital Controllers are a modern high-tech feature that utilizes a feedback loop mechanism from the fan and the auger.
We love the versatility and automation of the woodwind smoker. You can quickly check the temperature and adjust it with a push of a button.
The drain system makes it easy to collect and remove ash and grease for a quick cleaning regime.
Moreover, the sleek outdoor design is made to match the advanced technology that this pellet grill uses. There are a premium, stylish stainless steel lid, and four sturdy legs to support this pellet grill.
You get ample cooking space of 811 sq. in. plus the additional sidekick of 231 sq. in. that can accommodate significant meat cuts, from ribs, briskets, to roasts and large batches of smaller meat cuts.
Customer Review: “Easy to assemble, use, and clean. It produces the best tasting meat I have cooked in 30 years of cooking meat. I’m not sure the smoke control makes a ton of difference in the taste. Also I wish that the controls worked via the internet when I am out of range of the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (perhaps it is doable, but I haven’t figured it out). Overall I am extremely happy. I can now do everything with one machine, and the food tastes great.”
- Features Sense-Mate, a thermal sensor which constantly monitors grill temperature
- Includes a meat probe, peaked lid for rib racks, convenience tray
- Weighs 68 lbs. and folds to fits in nearly any trunk, making it the ultimate Tailgating Grill
- 110V or 12V with adapters for 3 power options
This Green Mountain smoker has a portable design that can connect to wifi for convenient remote control. There are thousands of positive reviews and ratings on Amazon, and numerous BBQ grill websites also recommend it.
You’ll also find the Sense-Mate built-in heat sensors accurate and precise readings on your internal grill temperature. These readings will appear on your remote phone app monitor.
It also comes with various accessories like a meat probe, a peaked lid for unusual ingredients like a stand-up kitchen or rib racks. There is also a convenience tray that can hold your grilling tools.
This is also incredibly versatile, meant to be run in different environments—whether it's camping, music festivals, tailgating, or hunting. It only weighs 68 pounds and folds down for compact size and shape to neatly fit into your trunk if you decide to use it for other locations.
Satisfied User Takeaway: “I truly appreciate how easy this smoker works. I spent a couple of weeks camping, and after showing mine, I know of four people who went out and bought one! Total electricity usage on a 12-hour smoke was 4.4 amp-hours. My portable jump starter worked perfectly! I recommend buying this smoker because the WiFi capability is excellent!”
Accessories and parts
- Includes 1 pound bag of each flavor Apple, Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, Pecan and Jack Daniel's
- 10 uses per bag (only 1/3 cup per use is needed) - No soaking necessary-- Easy to Use
- Works with any type of outside grill: Gas, Charcoal, Electric or Smoker
- Proudly Made in the USA
- SIGNATURE BLEND WOOD FIRED FLAVOR: The flavors of hickory, maple, and cherry hardwoods combine for in our Traeger Signature Blend Hardwood Pellets for flavor that can take on just about anything you cook. From classic BBQ meats, to fish and veggies, this versatile blend gives you full-bodied flavor you'll go back to time and time again.
- NOT ALL PELLETS ARE CREATED EQUAL: The best wood-fired grill on the market demands the best wood pellets on the market. Real taste doesn't just happen, it’s tied to quality materials and achieving perfect smoke. It starts with all-natural hardwood pellets made in American mills.
- TRAEGER HAS SPENT YEARS DEVELOPING THE PERFECT PELLET: Our hardwood's unique compact cell structure results in a balanced, dependable burn. Traeger has spent years mastering the development of hardwood pellets that have just the right amount of moisture content—the sweet spot—to maintain a perfect burn-to-smoke ratio
- PAIRS WELL WITH EVERYTHING: Pairs especially well with Beef, Poultry, Pork, Lamb, Seafood, Baked Goods, Vegetables
- FEATURES: Made in USA, Premium Quality, All-Natural, Clean Burn, No Binders, Low Ash, 20lb Bag
- Thicker material than others. 16 inches in length for handling large sized grills, keep your hand a safe distance away from the flame or hot surface. Thicker stainless steel quality that lasts, no breaking, melting, rusting. Go beyond your grill and bring joy to your patio BBQ.
- Practical 25pcs bbq set. Our grill accessories set has everything that you need to ensure that any grilling experience has exactly what you need at hand. Our grilling set includes a power tong, kabob skewers, chef’s spatula, as well as many other bbq accessories to ensure that your meat is juicy, tender, and delicious.
- Easy care. Convenient hangers are provided for easy storage and food grade grill tools are easily cleaned with warm, soapy water. Now anyone, newbie or master griller can enjoy grilling much faster, easier, cleaner.
- Dual protective layer is 20% lighter and built to last. Compared to a bulky and easily damaged aluminum cases, our elegant storage bag with dual protection will keep grill accessories neatly organized and better protected.
- Versatile. We choose better materials so that you can enjoy your daily cooking, outdoor grilling, and camping with our grill set. Ideal grill accessories set makes it a wonderful gift for men or women. Let your loved ones love cooking.
- ♥ Remote Meat Thermometer With Dual Probe: Digital wireless bbq temperature gauge to monitor two different meats or one meat and the grill/oven/smoker temp remotely from 300 feet away.
- ♥ BBQ thermometer with preset temperatures for 9 types of meat(Ground Beef, Ground Poultry, Beef, Veal, Chicken, Pork, Poultry, Lamb and Fish) and 5 types of desired tastes(Rare, Medium Rare, Medium, Medium Well and Well Done).
- ♥ Instant Read Grilling Thermometer: No synch required. Large LCD displays shows accurate temperature.Back-lit in Transmitter & Receiver for use in low light condition.
- ♥ Cooking Thermometer's Count Up & Countdown Timer; High and Low overtemperature alarm function, never worry about undercooking and overcooking.If you want more probes for this meat thermometer, please search "B07C81PQB5".
- ♥ Food grade stainless steel probe with steel mesh cable: 32°F - 572°F. Heat-resistant food probe wire can be inserted 7" into meat.Quality Assurance. Package included:1 x Digital Thermometer Receiver;1 x Digital Thermometer Transmitter;1 x Food Temperature Probe;1 x Oven/BBQ Temperature Probe;1 x Stainless Steel Clip;4 x AAA batteries;1 x Manual;
- Drip Tray Liners Make Life Easier - Grillers everywhere are turning to drip tray liners to make cleanup for their smoker grease bucket quick and easy. Gone are the days of scraping grease from your bucket. Enjoy your juicy rack of ribs without worrying about the greasy bucket grill cleanup that's waiting for you if you don't use bucket liners. Minimize grill clean up and maximize your grilling experience with a disposable drip bucket liner.
- Clean Your Drip Bucket for Smoker in Seconds - Your smoker's grease drip bucket needs a grease bucket liner so you can spend less time cleaning. Place the bucket liner into your grill's grease bucket before you begin grilling, let the grease cool when after cooking, and safely dispose of the bucket liner to avoid another greasy cleanup. You'll feel like a certified pit boss the next time you throw away your dirty grill liners in one, confident movement.
- Compatible with Traeger Grease Buckets and More - Your bucket liners need to fit your grill's grease bucket. Each grease bucket liner we make is designed to provide for the most common drip buckets from pellet grill manufacturers such as Traeger, Pitboss, Louisiana Grill, Camp Chef, Woodwind, Hopper, Cabelas, and RecTec. If you find your drip bucket liner isn't a perfect fit, you can easily shape the flexible aluminum liner to fit your drip bucket. Message us if you have any compatibility questi
- About Your Disposable Pellet Grill Bucket Liners - Your pellet grill liners come in sets of 6, 12, and 24 bucket liners and are compatible as Treager drip tray liners or Pit Boss bucket liners. Each disposable aluminum drip bucket liner works as a fitted Traeger drip tray liner or a Pitboss bucket liner and is resistant to heat, which means your bucker liners won't melt at high temperatures. Let the aluminum liners cool when you're done cooking and fold them up for safe, easy disposal.
- A Bucket Grill Liner You Can Trust - It can be a challenge finding a compatible Traeger grease bucket liner from a reliable, trustworthy company. When you buy your grill liners (works as a Traeger bucket liner and a Pitboss bucket liner) from us, you’re buying from a local business that has your back. You’re buying from a company located right here in the USA — where the quality of your pellet grill accessories comes first. Your grilling satisfaction matters.
- 【BILLOWING SMOKE AND BIG CAPACITY】 The pellet smoker tube has massive density diffusion holes on its body. So the smoker tube can let air come in, diffusing smoke efficiently and evenly to your food. The perforated design and hexagon shape of tube smoker allow the pellets stay lit the best and fully burn to provide constant smoke. With a length of 12 inches large capacity, the wood pellets smoker tube is capable of holding enough pellets and will produce abundant quantity of smoke up to 5hrs.
- 【UNFORGETTABLE FLAVORS FOR HOT AND COLD SMOKING】This smoke tube can be used with various wood pellets such as cherry, hickory, mesquite, apple, pecan to add different tastes. The 12" tube smoker works with wood chips as well. You can mix these or stack them in the tube. This smoke tube is perfect for hot and cold smoking, adding wonderful smoking flavor to many types of food: meats, cheeses, veggies, nuts, bacon, chicken, salt, burger, steaks, pork, hot dogs, sausages, fruit, corn, and more!
- 【WORKS WITH ALL GRILLS AND SMOKERS】 The smoker tube is compatible with electric, gas, charcoal, pellet grills, any type of grills of any size and shape. Just fill the barbeque smoker tube with wood pellets, lean the grill smoker tube against the inside wall or of put it in the middle or any position. The bbq pellet smoker tube will release smoke. This bbq smoker tube turns your barbeque grill into a smoker without modification. The smoke generator is also designed to supplement smoke in a smoker
- 【IMPROVED DESIGN AND STAINLESS STEEL MATERIAL】 Unlike traditional circular smoker tube, the special hexagonal smoker tube can stay steadily and will not roll on grill grate. Open cap at one end is for easy filling and lighting. Closed cap at other end keeps pellets inside. The whole smoker tube is made of high standard 304 grade stainless steel that is anti-rust and heat-resistant. With excellent workmanship, the smoker tube is very durable and will not be broken or bent after long-time use.
- 【IDEAL GIFT CHOICE AND SATISFACTION GUARANTEE】 The pellet smoker tube comes with bonus items: 1 silicone brush for basting food, 1 tube brush for efficient cleaning, and 2 S hooks for hanging the smoker tube. All of these are packaged well in a box. You can take it anywhere for outdoor use. The portable smoker tube set is a great gift idea. Have a try at it. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, simply return the product for a full refund. Totally risk-free and hassle free!
What to consider when buying a wood pellet smoker
There is no standard or common kind of pellet or wood-fueled grills or smokers. Brands come up with different designs that have various features according to their customers' demand and what current technology deems to be the best.
When it comes to this wide variety, here are some things to keep in mind when shopping for your pellet smoker:
Pellet grills are not lightweight
When buying your pellet grill, it is first essential to understand that they are not lightweight, and they are certainly not going to be useful if you are planning to take them with you for backpacking. Even the small, portable ones can weigh up to 50 pounds. Moreover, pellet grills are electric-powered, and most even require wifi for control and monitoring.
If you are looking to buy a pellet grill as a carry-on, you might want to look at other kinds of grills instead.
How to clean them
Different kinds of pellet grills from different brands require different amounts of care. Most grills have an oil pan that is to be regularly lined with aluminum foil. Like the ones made by Traeger, other pellet grills should have their heat diffuser plates covered with heavy-duty lining foil for extra protection. Ash will collect on the bottom of your pellet grill, so you need to vacuum after a few uses to remove this buildup.
Consider the cleaning and care regime of the pellet grill that seems doable for you.
Newer pellet grills are highly advanced
The new generation of pellet grills is highly advanced when it comes to technology. Most have automatic ignition and pellet-feeding systems. Others require a wifi connection, while some have moving parts.
If you are not comfortable and confident working with this much technology with your cooking, you may want to opt for the less-advanced pellet grills that utilize older methods.
Consider the location of use
Here's one disadvantage of pellet smokers: they require electricity. And so, they could only be used in locations where you can have access to power.
If you plan on keeping your pellet grill in your backyard, you can plug it into an outside socket, no problem. But, if you plan to move it around or don't have an outdoor outlet, be sure to have an extension lead.
High quality is worth it
Pellet grills are an investment. It's essential to invest in durable, good quality smokers that are guaranteed to last you a lifetime.
The technology of pellet smokers allows for more room for error, and so be sure to consult reviews and recommendations before making your decision. It's also a good idea to get smokers that come with built-in or protective accessories.