Pellet smokers have changed the way people see smoking and grilling. These machines give you a more fuel-efficient, easy-to-use, and convenient means of smoking almost any type of meat.
Fans of old-school smoking will argue that you can’t beat the smoky flavor of a charcoal smoker. While that may be true to a degree, there’s no denying that pellet smokers make smoking more accessible to so many people.
Pellet smokers have changed the way people see smoking and grilling. These machines give you a more fuel-efficient, easy-to-use, and convenient means of smoking almost any type of meat. Fans of old-school smoking will argue that you can’t beat the smoky flavor of a charcoal smoker. While that may be true to a degree, there’s no denying that pellet smokers make smoking more accessible to so many people.
Why invest in higher-end pellet smokers?
Opinions aside, very few other machines can match pellet smokers on versatility and convenience. These units combine classic principles of smoking with modern technology to make it plain easier for everyone.
However, this convenience does come at a considerable cost. It means you have to shed more dollars on the purchase. And reneging on the price points you may compromise on quality.
So, what are the best pellet smokers on the higher end of the price spectrum? Well, there are many. But a few of them do stand out in multiple aspects. Today, we’ve brought together some of these superior machines on this list for your information and awareness.
Rec Tec Grills RT700 Wifi-enabled Wood Pellet Grill
The REC TEC Grills RT700 Wood Pellet Grill comes with a host of qualities any user would love. REC TEC Grills are already known for their fine builds and precision craft. With the RT700, they’ve added more modernized features that make smoking better and easier.
The RT700 has dual meat-probes, an enhanced PID controller, and, of course, wifi connectivity. If you’re a fan of precision regulation, you’ll love the RT700’s controller. It allows you to change the heat levels in increments of 5° increments (you don’t get those margins in cheaper models).
It gives you enough cooking space with a 702 sq-inch plate, along with a hopper that can carry up to 40lbs. You can use the machine for almost 40 hours of smoking. And the rollers make it easy to move around the yard.
- The PID controller gives you a precision adjustment of temperature.
- Wifi feature allows remote regulation with your phone or personal device.
- The black/silver steel and bull horn handles add to the sleek aesthetics.
- The app function is limited to temperature setting and monitoring (No time settings, etc.).
- For a heavy unit, the legs aren’t as stable as desirable.
Traeger Ironwood 885 Wood Pellet Grill
- State of Art Technology & Grilling Innovation: The Ironwood Series is among Traeger Grills most innovative products with WiFIRE technology that allows the chef to control their grill from anywhere at anytime. Using a smart phone you can monitor temperatures, set times, receive alerts, and custom recipe cook cycles. The Ironwood Series also has a built in pellet sensor that alerts you when you're running low on pellets
- Never Use Gas or Charcoal Again: Cooking with wood just tastes better. Traeger created the original wood pellet grill as the ultimate way to achieve wood-fired taste
- Versatile Barbecue Cooking: hot and fast, or low and slow, the Traeger Ironwood Series pellet grill offers 6-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ food to juicy perfection
- Join the Traeger Nation: Traeger is the market leader and creator of the wood fired pellet grill. No other grill offers the taste, versatility, ease, consistency, and community. When you join the Traeger Nation you join an army of grilling ethusiasts who share more than just recipes
- Perfect for Large Family Cooking: The Ironwood 885 has 885 sq inches of grill capacity that can fit ten chickens or seven rib racks
Next on the list is the Traeger Ironwood 885 Wood Pellet Grill. Traeger is an old name when it comes to grilling and smoking machines. And their Ironwood series keeps getting better and better. The Ironwood 885 combines the best of innovative tech along with Traeger’s reliable hardware. It’s an energy-efficient and versatile machine that will change the way you grill and smoke.
The wifi function allows you to access multiple controls. You can set the temperature, set the time, cycle recipes, and even receive alerts. It’s convenient for those multi-taskers who can’t afford to stand an hour at the cooking station.
Based on their original wood pellet design, the Ironwood 885 has a 6-in-1 cooking mechanism. It includes smoking, baking, grilling, braising, BBQ, and braising.
- Enhanced wifi capability gives you more control.
- The 6-in-1 cooking ability makes it incredibly versatile.
- Alexa-enabled for more convenience.
- The learning curve is higher because of all the features.
Camp Chef 36-in Wifi Woodwind Pellet Grill and Smoker
- ALL NEW WIFI & Bluetooth PID controller automatically maintains cooking temperature with 4 meat probe ports, 4 meat probes, Sidekick which is compatible with Camp Chef's 14 in. accessories.
- 160 F to 500 F temperature range from slow smoking to grilling (25,000 BTU).
- Dial in your smoke level with our Smoke Control with settings 1 - 10.
- Slide and Grill technology that allows for direct flame cooking with temps up to 650 F.
- Patented Ash Kickin' Cleanout system that allows you to dump the ash after every cook.
The Camp Chef 36-in wifi Woodwind Pellet Grill and Smoker is one of those pellet smokers that may look mediocre at first but packs a punch in smoking.
The wireless options work with both wifi and Bluetooth (but Bluetooth is almost redundant here). Once you connect, the PID controller will let you seamlessly monitor and set the temperatures on whatever you’re smoking or grilling. It comes with four meat probes and an equal number of ports.
A handy feature of the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet smoker is the Sidekick. If you buy any of the 14’’ accessories from Camp Chef, it’ll be compatible with this Sidekick. The temperature range for this machine is also superior to many of its competitors. It can come down to 160°F for those slow-smoking sessions, and it can go up to 500°F for high-intensity grilling.
- It has a smoke dial that lets you set values from 1-10.
- It has a patented ash-cleaning system that keeps it clean for every use.
- Grill cooking lets you use direct flames for high-heat cooking.
- The native app doesn’t work consistently on both iOS and Android.
- The build quality could be better, given the price range.
Cookshack PG500 Fast Eddy’s Pellet Grill
- 100% Stainless Steel, featuring a riveted assembly on the body. The direct zone features stainless steel grates for durability!
- 784 square inches: 10" x 18" direct cooking; 18"x18" indirect; 10"x28" top rack; warming drawer 19" x 13" x 4"
- Direct: 3/8 304T Stainless Steel rod grate; Indirect: Nickel Plated Grills
- Electronically controlled temperatures eliminates large heat fluctuations that dry and shrink meat. Fully automated controller
- 5 amps @ 120 VAC; 36,000 BTU burner; electronically controlled thermostat; auto-start; draft fan
The Cookshack PG500 Fast Eddy’s Pellet Grill is one of the ideal options if you regularly go for the slow and low smoking recipes. It comes with four cooking zones that you can use separately or simultaneously. These different zones allow cold-smoking, warming, direct cooking, and indirect cooking.
As far as features go, the Cookshack PG500 doesn’t offer as much as its competitors. But what it lacks in fancy features, it makes up for with consistent smoking capacity. Unless you willfully ignore the instructions and care, it’s hard to go wrong with this machine.
It has an efficient mechanism for dropping the required pellets from the hopper to the fire pit. So, you’re guaranteed to have fuel efficiency as far as refilling goes. The whole body comes with a stainless steel finish, which provides both smoothness and durability.
- Reliable smoking that doesn’t depend on accessories.
- Four-zone cooking offers more versatile options.
- The LHt and HHt controls are tough to figure out at first.
- It lacks additional features for a smoker at this price (Eg. No wireless capability).
Pellet smokers have allowed both chefs and amateurs to smoke food with way more convenience and control than before. And it can be tough to quickly narrow down on the options when there are so many available today. With this list, you’ll be able to weigh your options and make a more informed purchase before you spend your hard-earned cash on a higher-end smoker.
If you’re interested in more moderately priced pellet smokers, check out our updated list of the best high end pellet smokers.